Avocado and Hearts of Palm
Author: Sally Sampson
- 1 16 ounce can Hearts of Palm, drained and rinsed
- 2 large ripe avocados
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 10 potato peelings of Pecorino Romano
- pepper to taste
- The avocadoes and hearts of palm should be cut in similar sizes. You can either slice each lengthwise or dice the avocado and slice the Hearts of Palm vertically.
- However you cut them, divide them into four parts and place on individual plates. Add oil and vinegar and top with shavings of Pecorino. Add pepper to taste.
Note: Many people think of avocados as esoteric and although used as a vegetable, avocados are actually fruits. Hass avocados are pebbly skinned and available in the summer and California Fuerte’s are darker and smooth skinned and available almost all year long. Most people have a preference for one over the other, but let your own taste be your guide.
Either way, they should be stored in a warm, place until they’re ripe, at which point, it’s fine to refrigerate them. To speed the ripening process, place avocados in a brown paper bag, which will force the maturation process.