Makes 10- 12 cups
1 teaspoon olive or vegetable oil
1 onion, peeled and chopped
3 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced or minced
1 large carrot, scrubbed chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
½ teaspoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ butternut squash, microwaved for 5 minutes, peeled and cubed
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
2 16-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 cup diced tomatoes, including the liquid
1 jalapeno or chipotle chili, minced (optional)
1 bunch Lacinato kale, chopped
Tahini (about 1 teaspoon per cup)
- Put a medium-size pot on the stove and set the heat to medium. When it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook until the onion is tender and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the coriander, cumin, paprika and cinnamon and cook, stirring once, for 2 minutes.
- Add the squash and stock and bring to a boil. Add the chickpeas and tomatoes and when it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low. Cook, partially covered, until the squash is tender and the stew comes together, about 20 minutes.
- Add the chili (if using) and kale, and stir until wilted.
- Serve, drizzled with tahini, and a squeeze of lime.