Serve with mashed potatoes and a salad.
Author: Sally Sampson
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 red, yellow or green bell pepper, diced
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped or pressed
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup tomato ketchup or barbecue sauce
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro
- 2 slices good quality white bread
- ½ cup milk, water or beef stock
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Heat a medium size skillet over a medium flame and add oil. When the oil is hot, add onion and bell pepper and cook about 3 - 5 minutes or until golden. Reduce heat to low, add garlic and oregano and cook 3 minutes. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside to cool.
- In the meantime, soak the bread in the liquid for a few minutes or until moist. Squeeze the bread and drain off and discard any remaining liquid. Add the bread to cooled onion mixture.
- Add eggs and ground beef and mix, by hand , until everything is thoroughly incorporated. Place mixture in prepared loaf pan and cook for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
Notes: use leftovers for sandwiches or added to beef chili.
Substitutions: if you would like to substitute ground turkey, add an extra egg.