This classic combination of rum and pecans is a winner. Although they taste as if they have taken hours to prepare, they only require a few minutes. Serve these with orange slices.
Makes 2 cups.
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 tablespoons dark rum
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 cups lightly toasted pecan halves
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. To make the spice mix, place the spices in a small bowl and mix to combine.
3. To make the glaze, place the glaze ingredients in a medium-size saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat.
4. Add the pecans to the saucepan and cook until they are well coated and the pan is almost dry, about 1 minute. Spoon the spice mix over the nuts, 1 tablespoon at a tie, until they are well coated.
5. Transfer the pecans to the prepared sheet, separate with your hands or fork, and let sit until completely dried, at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
Not just for snacking: Use these to garnish anything from coconut cake to ice cream sundaes.
From Party Nuts! 50 Recipes for Spicy, Sweet, Savory, and Simply Sensational Nuts That Will Be the Hit of Any Gathering (The Harvard Common Press, 2002)