Grill some pitas or flatbread to serve alongside these succulent skewers.
Serves 8 to 10.
FOR THE MEAT
4½ to 5 pounds sirloin steak tips cut into cubes
1 cup dry white wine
10 to 12 garlic cloves, chopped or pressed
1 red onion, chopped
2 tablespoons dried Greek oregano
FOR THE SAUCE (OPTIONAL)
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped or pressed
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 cups full- or low-fat plain yogurt
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
FOR THE VEGETABLES
16 to 24 cherry tomatoes
16 to 24 button mushrooms
2 large red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, cut into 16 to 24 pieces total
2 zucchini, cut into 16 to 24 cubes total
2 red onions, peeled keeping root intact, cut into 8 wedges
Fresh mint, for garnish
1. Place the beef, wine, garlic, onion, and oregano in a shallow glass or ceramic bowl, or in a resealable bag. Cover or seal, and refrigerate overnight or freeze up to 3 months.
2. Preheat a grill or broiler. Set aside 24 skewers.
3. To prepare the sauce, if using: Place the garlic, vinegar, yogurt, salt, and pepper in a small bowl and mix well. Cover and refrigerate. (The sauce can be made up to 2 days ahead.)
4. Remove the meat and discard as much of the marinade as possible. Place the meat, tomatoes, mushrooms, bell peppers, zucchini, and red onions on the skewers, filling each skewer with just one item (do not mix the meat and vegetables on the skewers). Place the skewers on the grill or under the broiler, and cook turning every 1½ minutes, until the beef is deeply browned on the outside and rare on the inside, 8 to 10 minutes total.
5. Garnish with the fresh mint, and serve the sauce, if desired, on the side.
From Warehouse to Your House: More than 250 Simple, Spectacular Recipes to Cook, Store, and Share When You Buy in Quantity (Simon & Schuster, 2006)