Although I am specific in my instructions below as to how far to cook the sugar, I always go just beyond that, to almost burning it. Well, the truth is, as you can imagine, that it started out as a mistake but now I do it on purpose: I love the resulting caramelly, almost chocolately taste.
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 ½- 2 cups chopped nuts
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Butter an offset spatula.
- Place sugar and water in a large saucepan (larger than you imagine you will need) and bring to a boil over high heat and continue cooking until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture begins to boil, about 5 minutes.
- Lower the heat to medium and simmer until it is cinnamon-y brown and reaches 300 degrees, about 12- 15 minutes.
- Quickly stir in the nuts and pour immediately onto the prepared sheet. Using the prepared spatula, spread the brittle as thinly as possible.
- Set aside to cool completely. Break into large pieces. Store in an airtight container.