Butternut Squash Soup with Pear, Orange and Rosemary
Author: Sally Sampson
Serves: 12 cups
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 1 pear, sliced
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried
- 6 - 7 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup orange juice
- 2 - 3 teaspoons grated fresh orange zest
- Orange slices (for garnish)
- Heat a large stockpot over a medium low flame and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion and cook for about 5 - 10 minutes or until the onion is golden.
- Add remaining ingredients, raise heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, for 25 minutes, or until the squash is tender.
- Transfer the solids to a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade and puree until smooth.