While I adore this smooth, creamy, and unusual soup, I am most definitely not a fan of cooked carrots.
Carrot Soup with Fennel
Author: Sally Sampson
Serves: 8 to 10 cups
- 1 tablespoon olive or canole oil
- 1 Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 1½ to 2 pounds carrots, peeled, if desired, and sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried fennel seed
- 8 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Place a stockpot over medium heat and, when it is hot, add the oil. Add the, onion, carrots, and fennel and cook until tender and lightly colored, about 10 to 15 minutes
- Add the stock, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low and cook until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove the solids and place in a good processor or blender. Process until smooth, gradually adding the cooking liquid. Transfer to a container, cover, and refrigerate up to three days, or serve immediately.