Inspired by the best omelet I have ever had: slowly cooked, caramelized onions, combined with cauliflower and cheddar, inside perfectly cooked eggs. I thought the omelet was good, but this is even better!
Cauliflower with Cheddar Soup
Author: Sally Sampson
Serves: 8 cups
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 head cauliflower, core removed, florets coarsely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ½ to ¾ cup grated extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- Black pepper, to toast
- Chopped fresh dill or basil, for garnish
- Finely chopped scallions (white and green parts), for garnish
- Place a heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat and, when it is hot, add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion and sugar and cook until the onion has caramelized, about 15 to 20 minutes
- Add the cauliflower and stock, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low and cook until the cauliflower is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove the solids and place in a food processor or blender. Process until smooth, gradually adding the cheese, pepper, and cooking liquid.
- Serve immediately, garnished with chopped dill and scallions