Author: Sally Sampson
- 2 large bunches beets, (about 8 cups peeled, if desired, and thinly sliced)
- 6 cups water or chicken stock
- ⅓ cup white sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups yogurt or buttermilk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 salad cucumber, thinly sliced
- Yogurt for garnish (optional)
- Combine beets, water or chicken stock and sugar, if desired, in a heavy bottomed stockpot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, partially covered, for about 35 minutes or until the beets are tender. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Place beets in a blender or food processor fitted with a steel blade and process, gradually adding stock, lemon juice and buttermilk, until smooth. If necessary, this can be done in two batches.
- Refrigerate for at least two hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with dill, cucumber and yogurt, if desired.