Rich, velvety, and very, very elegant, this soup is a wonderful way to introduce the distinctive flavor or cilantro to your guests. Its richness makes it better fro a starter than for a meal.
Never ever consider using anything other than fresh cilantro; if you can’t find it, don’t make this soup.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Spanish onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 to 3 tablespoons fresh ginger root, peeled and sliced into coins
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Place a heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat and, when it is hot, add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion, celery, ginger, and garlic and cook until tender and lightly colored, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the stock, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil
- Remove the solids and place in a food processor or blender. Add the cilantro and process until smooth, gradually adding the heavy cream.
- Return the puree to the stockpot and cook, uncovered, over very low heat for 30 minutes, stirring frequently. Be very careful not to let it boil. Serve immediately.