Inspired by a recipe in the cookbook, Savor the Moment by the Junior League of Boca Raton, Florida, this combination is hard to resist: spicy, sweet and crunchy. You can also make it with any of the nuts alone, rather than in combination.
Coconut Curried Nuts
Author: Sally Sampson
Serves: 4 cups
- 2 large egg whites
- 4 cups mixed nuts (including pecans, cashews, almonds, peanuts and walnuts)
- ½ cup shredded coconut, sweetened or unsweetened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the egg whites in a large stainless steel bowl and whip until frothy.
- Add the nuts and toss until coated.
- Place the remaining ingredients in another bowl, toss to combine and add to the nuts. Toss again. Transfer to the prepared sheet and arrange in a single layer.
- Place in the oven and cook, stirring every 15 minutes, until lightly colored and dried out, about 1 hour.
- Immediately loosen the nuts with a spatula and set aside to cool.