Author: Sally Sampson
Serves: 9 Squares
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 - 3 tablespoons white sugar or honey
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1½ cups yogurt, buttermilk or sour cream
- 1 cup creamed corn (1 small can)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 bunch scallions, root and 1 inch of green part trimmed and discarded, remainder, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine the egg, yogurt, creamed corn and vegetable oil.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir until just blended.
- If you want a spicy cornbread, stir in scallions, jalapeno and/or black pepper.
- Spoon the batter into prepared pan and bake for 45- 55 minutes or until just beginning to get golden. Do not let it brown.