Cream of Mushroom Soup
Author: Sally Sampson
Serves: 6 to 8 cups
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Spanish onion, coarsely chopped or sliced
- ¾ pound fresh mushrooms, coarsely chopped, stems included
- 1 potato, unpeeled, diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups of chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, or 3 teaspoons chopped fresh
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Chopped fresh chives, for garnish (optional)
- Parmesan or Gruyere cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Place a heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat and,when it is hot, add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion and cook until tender and lightly colored, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, potato, stock, and rosemary, raise the hear to high, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the solids and place in a food processor or blender. Process until completely smooth, gradually adding the cooking liquid, wine, and heavy cream. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer to a container, cover, and refrigerate up to three days, or serve immediately, garnished with chives and Parmesan or Gruyere, if desired.