Buttery, spicy and peppery. I don’t know what it is about this combination of flavors- the soft buttery cashew and the potent, almost raunchy cumin- but these nuts are just staggeringly yummy.
If you don’t want to use cumin seed, simply substitute half the amount of ground cumin and add it when you add the salt.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups combination raw cashews, pine nuts and pistachios
- 2 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Place a large skillet over medium high heat and add the oil.
- When the oil is very hot, add the nuts. They should sizzle when they hit the oil.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until they just turn reddish brown, about 2- 3 minutes.
- Add the cumin seed and cook until they turn brown, about 30 seconds.
- Remove the nuts with a slotted spoon and sprinkle with the salt, cayenne and pepper.
- Transfer to a paper towel and set aside to cool for at least one hour.