Author: Sally Sampson
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- ½ Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or pressed
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, or more to taste
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1½ cups chicken or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup currants
- ½ Granny Smith apple, cut in small dice
- ¼ cup pecans, almonds or pistachio nuts, chopped
- Heat a small saucepan over a medium flame and add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, garlic and curry and cook until the onion is soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the rice and broth and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook about 20 minutes, or until the broth has been absorbed.
- Stir in currants, apple and nuts. Serve immediately.