Fruit and Nut Stuffing
Author: Sally Sampson
Serves: 9 cups
- 18 prunes, chopped
- ½ cup raisins or currants
- 12 dried apricot halves, chopped
- ¼ cup bourbon
- 1 tablespoon corn, canola or olive oil
- 3 large Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 3 Granny Smith or other tart apples, peeled, if desired, and diced
- 2 cups (1 bag) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds, hazelnuts, pecans or walnuts
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped ginger root
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- Combine prunes, raisins, apricots and bourbon in a small bowl, cover and let sit overnight at room temperature.
- Heat a small pan over medium heat and add oil. When the oil is hot, add onions and celery and cook until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Place onion mixture in a large mixing bowl, add dried fruit mixture and remaining ingredients.
- Place loosely in cavities or in oven proof bowl and cook for about 35 minutes at 350 degrees.
Notes: any leftover stuffing should be taken out of the turkey and put in a separate container.