Glossy, silky, sweet, and just a bit spicy (of course you can reduce or simply omit the ginger), this pureed soup is ideal for both children and adults. In my house, we especially like to pair it with grilled cheese-and-tomato sandwiches.
Ginger Carrot with Cream Soup
Author: Sally Sampson
Serves: 10 to 12 cups
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 Spanish onion coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds carrot, peeled, if desired, and sliced
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons peeled, coarsely chopped, fresh ginger
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Chopped fresh parsley or chives, for garnish
- Place a heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat and, when it is hot, add the butter. When the butter has melted, add the onion and carrots and cook until tender and lightly colored, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the cinnamon, stock, and ginger, raise the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to low, and cook for 30 minutes
- Remove the solids and place in a food processor or blender. Process until completely smooth, gradually adding the cooking liquid and heavy cream. Transfer to a container, cover, and refrigerate up to three days, or serve immediately, garnished with parsley or chives.