Very tart and very sweet.
FOR THE CRUST
1½ cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup unsalted butter
FOR THE PECAN AND COCONUT FILLING
3 large eggs
1½ cups dark brown sugar
¾ cup chopped pecans
¾ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
FOR THE LEMON GLAZE
½ cup confectioners’ sugar
¼ cup lemon juice
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 12 x 8-inch pan.
2. To make the crust: Place the flour, sugar, salt, and butter in a bowl or a food processor fitted with a steel blade and mix until well combined. Place in the prepared pan, transfer to the oven and bake until just golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
3. To make the filling: Place the eggs, brown sugar, pecans, coconut, and vanilla in a small mixing bowl and combine well. Pour over the cooled crust, transfer to the oven, and bake until slightly browned, about 20 to 30 minutes.
4. To make the glaze: Place the confectioners’ sugar, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a small mixing bowl and combine. Pour over the filling while it is warm and still in the pan.
5. Cut into 12 pieces and serve warm or at room temperature. Place onto a large platter.
From The $50 Dinner Party: 26 Dinner Parties That Won’t Break Your Bank, Your Back, or Your Schedule (Simon & Schuster, 1998)