Author: Sally Sampson
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, peeled, if desired and quartered
- 1 - 2 tablespoons unsalted butter or olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cover potatoes with cold water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until tender, about 10 - 12 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and place in a medium size mixing bowl.
- Mash with a fork or potato masher, gradually incorporating remaining ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.