Mixed Bean Soup
Author: Sally Sampson
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 Spanish onion, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 - 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 5 cups assorted cooked beans (kidney, black, white and fava beans)
- 6 - 8 cups chicken, beef or vegetable stock
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- Fresh basil or cilantro, chopped
- Heat a 6 - 8 quart stockpot over a medium low flame and add oil. When the oil is hot, add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook for about 7 - 10 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add beans and stock and bring to a low boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 1 - 2 hours or until the beans are soft. Add potatoes and cook until they are soft. Serve with basil or cilantro.