Most Simple: Beans and Rice
Author: Sally Sampson
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed or finely chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 fresh or canned tomato, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper, or more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin, or more to taste
- 1 16 ounce can black beans or red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 - 2 cups water, chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 - 4 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium low heat and add oil.
- When the oil is hot add the garlic and onion and if desired, the tomato and bell pepper and cook for about 10 minutes or until the onion is golden.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the spices, beans and water or stock and cook for about 20 minutes or until the beans are very soft.
- Add salt to taste.
- Serve beans on top of the rice and sprinkle with cilantro, if desired.