Penne with Asparagus
Author: Sally Sampson
- 1 pound penne
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or pressed
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound asparagus, woody stems discarded, remainder cut into quarters
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- ⅓ cup toasted pine nuts
- 1 small bunch chives, cut into 1 " pieces
- ¼ cup shaved Parmesan cheese, or more to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Heat a large saucepan over a low flame and add oil. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook until golden, about 3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, asparagus and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until asparagus is al dente, about 3 minutes.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook until al dente. Drain pasta and add to asparagus mixture. Just prior to serving, add pine nuts, chives and Parmesan cheese.