Roasted Beets with Orange and Fresh Mint
Author: Sally Sampson
- 2 bunches beets, trimmed, greens discarded or saved for another use
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh mint (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- If the beets are very small, leave them whole. If they are large, quarter them and lightly rub with about 1 tablespoon olive oil. Place them in the oven on a roasting pan and cook for about 1 hour, or until they can be pierced with a fork.
- Just prior to taking the beets out of the oven, combine the orange juice, vinegar, remaining olive oil and mustard and place in a small pan and bring to a boil. Gently peel the beets and pour this mixture over them. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Remove beet stains by rubbing your hands with salt and then washing with soap and water. Bleach will get it out of cutting boards and utensils.