Roasted Eggplant with Curry, Cilantro and Peppers
Author: Sally Sampson
- 1 large eggplant, cut in 1 - 1½" cubes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon sherry
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Oriental sesame oil (do not use regular sesame oil)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 scallions, root and 1 inch of green part trimmed and discarded, remainder cut diagonally into one inch pieces
- ½ red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar (if serving cold)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly oil a roasting or baking pan.
- Place the garlic, sherry, olive oil, sesame oil, curry powder and salt in a blender or a food processor fitted with a steel blade and puree until it forms a thin paste. Coat the eggplant cubes and place in the oven. Cook for about 45 - 60 minutes or until the eggplant is lightly browned. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cilantro, scallions and pepper.
- If you wish to serve this as a salad, add the vinegar.