Watch out: this is an addictive snack! For a hotter and more pungent dish, go with the larger amount of cayenne. Try mixing broken pieces into cornbread for a spicy, crunchy sensation. Serve with Iced tea or lemonade.
Be very careful not to overcook because the Tabasco and Worcestershire burn easily
- 2 cups raw pecan halves
- 1 large egg white (2 tablespoons)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 – 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the egg whites in a large stainless steel bowl and whisk until frothy.
- Whisk in the sugar, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne and salt.
- Add the pecans and toss until completely coated.
- Transfer to the prepared sheet and arrange in a single layer.
- Place in the oven and cook, stirring every 15 minutes, until lightly colored and dried out, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Immediately loosen the nuts with a spatula and set aside to cool.