Simple Chicken or Turkey Stock
Author: Sally Sampson
Serves: 10 cups
- Carcass and Neck from 6 - 7 pound chicken
- 2 celery stalks, cut in half
- 2 carrots, cut in half
- 1 Spanish onion, quartered
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or more, to taste
- Combine all the ingredients except for the salt in an 6 - 8 quart stockpot and generously cover with cold water. (If you have vegetables left over from roasting chicken, add them).
- Partially cover and cook over a medium flame until the mixture comes to a slow boil. Reduce heat to very low and cook, partially covered, for 3 hours. Do not let it boil during this time.
- Strain and refrigerate stock. Discard carcass and vegetables.
- When stock has completely cooled, skim off and discard the hardened fat. Add salt to taste.
Add 1 parsnip, cut in half
1 teaspoon herb of your choice.