Rich and flavorful, Stan’s vegetable stock can be easily substituted for chicken stock in any vegetable or bean soup.
Stan Frankenthaler's Vegetable Stock
Author: Sally Sampson
Serves: 12 cups
- 1 tablespoon soy oil
- 2 large or 4 small Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek green, sliced
- 1 garlic bulb, halved horizontally to expose the cloves
- 3 carrots, coarsely chopped,
- 1 fennel bulb, coarsely chopped
- 3 to 4 cups fresh white button mushrooms
- 4 celery stalks, sliced
- 16 cups (1 gallon) cold water
- Place a large stockpot over medium heat and, when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onions, leeks, garlic, carrots, fennel, mushrooms, and celery, and cook until they are very tender and just starting to fall apart, about 30 minutes. Add the water and cook over high heat until it comes to a boil.
- Lower the heat to low and cook until the vegetables are completely falling apart, about 30 minutes. Strain and discard the solids. Transfer to a large container, cover, and refrigerate up to three days or freeze up to six months.