¼ cup sugar
1 tablespoon finely chopped gingerroot
½ cup water
6 small peaches, peeled, halved, and pitted
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 cups vanilla ice cream
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Place the sugar, gingerroot, and water in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and cook for 5 minutes.
3. Place the peaches in a small baking pan and surround them with the ginger syrup. Dot with the butter.
4. Transfer to the oven and cook until browned, about 20 minutes.
5. Divide the ice cream among 6 bowls and top with equal amounts of the hot roasted peaches. Serve immediately.
From The $50 Dinner Party: 26 Dinner Parties That Won’t Break Your Bank, Your Back, or Your Schedule (Simon & Schuster, 1998)