Great on pasta Omelettes
Author: Sally Sampson
- 2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
- 2 Spanish onions, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 bell peppers, any combinations of colors, coarsely chopped
- 1 small eggplant, peeled, if desired, and cubed or 3 zucchini, cubed
- 1 tablespoon dried Greek oregano
- 1 - 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin, or more, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 16 ounce can or 2 cups cooked white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 16 ounce can or 2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4 (1 pound) cans dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup dried lentils, washed and picked over for stones
- 2 20 ounce cans whole tomatoes, coarsely chopped, including juice
- Freshly chopped cilantro or basil
- Heat an 8 quart stockpot over a medium flame and add oil. When the oil is hot, add onions, garlic, peppers, eggplant or zucchini and spices and cook until vegetables are golden, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, add beans, lentils and tomatoes and cook, covered, for 1 - 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Just prior to serving, add basil or cilantro.
- Serve with cornbread